December 4, 2015, Columbus, OH – Beats by Dr. Dre are a holiday gift marketed to all age groups. Beats are especially popular this year, made of high quality materials intended to give consumers an authentic listening experience. When great deals are offered advertising Beats at a lower cost or through an online site, it can be a relief to gift-givers everywhere. However, BBB wants you to know some of these offers and sites could be fake with counterfeit headphones.
These businesses offer consumers a cheap knock-off product, or vanish when buyers request refunds. Better Business Bureau serving Central Ohio is specifically warning consumers of Mr-Wire, an online company advertising Dr. Dre Beats. Mr-Wire has an F rating with BBB for failing to deliver products after payment is received, and failing to respond to refund requests from consumers. Consumers in twelve states filed complaints with BBB saying they ordered over $1,300.00 in merchandise.
According to a PR Newswire Research and Markets study that predicts the compound annual growth rate of Global Headphones sales to grow 12.7% from 2014-2017, Beats are projected to be the leading vendor.
Because Beats headphones are so specialized, retailers have to be authorized to sell them. For a list of authorized Beats dealers, consumers should go to the Beats website at: http://www.beatsbydre.com/support/buying/authorized-retailers.html
Are your Beats the real deal? Check out these clues:
– Real Beats by Dr. Dre will have the word “wireless” on the silver part of the outer headphone frame. Fake Beats will have the words “studio wireless” written instead.
– Real Beats will have a well crafted headphones case with no cracks. Fake Beats will have a case with an outer black clip, and crooked stitching on the inside.
– Real Beats will not show any flashing lights or LED lighting when they are turned on because the plastic is thicker and of better quality. Fake Beats will show the LED lights shining through on both sides of the ear pieces as a result of thinner, cheaper plastic.
– Real Beats will have a clear trademark symbol and description on the inside of the headphone frame that is easy to read. Fake Beats will have a blurry, faded trademark that is difficult to see clearly.
– Real beats will have thick foam covering the speakers. Fake Beats will have thin, transparent foam that allows you to see the speakers through the material.
If you are unable to view the Beats before purchasing, keep in mind if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. If a website advertises a discount when you buy more than one pair, than they are most likely counterfeit headphones. Finally, if the headphones are being sold on a website without a box and manual, then they are fakes. Real Beats by Dr. Dre will always be professionally packaged.