UPDATED: Former Eckleberry Poultry building in Bucyrus catches fire


BUCYRUS – Bucyrus Firefighters, with mutual aid from Galion City, Crestline Village, and Marion Township Fire Departments, are battling a blaze at the former Eckleberry Poultry building on South Spring Street that began Sunday afternoon.

The smoke from the fire at 823 S. Spring St., could be seen as far away as Harpster in Wyandot county.

“I can see the smoke over here in Harpster,” said Will Fernatt, who moved to Harpster from Bucyrus a few years ago.

Joe Graham lives at the corner of Euclid Avenue and Spring Street, one block north of the building.

“We have been told to stay inside due to the possibility of toxic fumes. The wind seems to be carrying the smoke southwest towards the Huggins subdivision. I can see flames from my kitchen window, and it appears the entire structure towards the west side has been involved,” Graham said at around 3:30 p.m. Sunday.

Graham said later that the entire west side of the building is destroyed.

“A man had just moved into the upstairs residential area of the building but I do not think there was anyone injured in the fire,” Graham said.

Bystanders said that two dogs that were recovered from the building that may have housed Styrofoam and rubber products.

Firefighters were still on the scene at 6 p.m. Sunday, using tower lights to illuminate the area.

Twitter: @kimberlygasuras

http://galioninquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/web1_IMG_20151129_15033112.jpg

photo by Melissa Ruhe
http://galioninquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/web1_IMG_963486143293661.jpgphoto by Melissa Ruhe

By Kimberly Gasuras

Galion Inquirer

comments powered by Disqus