Galion BOE makes annual authorizations and appointments
By Sarah Einselen
The Galion Board of Education organized its year at the meeting held Thursday, Jan. 5. New board member Brian Owens and re-elected members Dennis Long and Robert Zeisler were sworn in. The board voted that Dennis Long continue as board president and that Jennifer Kuns also continue as vice-president.
The board will continue holding its regular meetings on the second Thursday of each month in the middle school computer lab, except in July when the board will meet on the third Thursday. Additional work sessions will be held on Feb. 16, April 19, June 21, Aug. 23 and Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m.
The board approved a series of standing authorizations for the year as well.
The treasurer was authorized to secure advance payment on current collection of taxes, to invest all funds, to pay all bills per limits in appropriation resolutions, to compensate board members for up to 12 meetings per year and to attend public records training on behalf of the board members.
The superintendent was authorized to employ personnel as needed for emergency situations and then to ask the board for approval at the next regular meeting. The board also authorized the superintendent to pay $150 a day for substitute teachers whenever she determines that extraordinary circumstances require a higher pay rate.
The superintendent was also authorized to serve as the purchasing agent for the district, to find unique ways to show employees the board appreciates them, and to apply on the district’s behalf without further board action to participate in any federal or state programs for which board approval is required.
The board also approved several board member appointments as follows:
- Legislative liaison—Dennis Long
- Delegate to the Ohio School Boards Association Annual Conference—George McElligott (Jennifer Kuns is alternate)
- Student achievement liaison—Jennifer Kuns
- Galion Area Betterment Commission—Jennifer Kuns
- Pioneer Career and Technology Center school board—Dennis Long
- Galion Education Association labor relations committee—George McElligott and Robert Zeisler
- OAPSE Labor Relations committee—Dennis Long and Brian Owens
- Galion Advisory Group for Education—Robert Zeisler
- Audit committee—George McElligott and Brian Owens
The board also designated the Galion Inquirer and the Newspaper Network of Central Ohio as its newspapers and approved a preliminary calendar for the 2012–2013 school year. The calendar established the start and end dates of school and the dates of school breaks.
The board will hold its first regular meeting of the year at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, in the middle school computer lab. The public is encouraged to attend.